EDI in Manufacturing – the below list, though not exhaustive, is a sample of the most common EDI transaction sets currently used in today’s manufacturing and automotive industries. The list names the most popular ANSI X12 and EDIFACT transaction sets and gives a brief description of each:
- ANSI X12 810 / EDIFACT INVOIC – Invoice – sent by manufacturers to the customer to bill for goods ordered and delivered.
- ANSI X12 830 / EDIFACT DELFOR – Planning Schedule/Material Release – provides forecast data for upcoming orders that helps suppliers manage materials and other resources such as labor requirements. Not all 830’s, however, can be used to create a Purchase Order, just manufacturers with 830’s that have release capabilities.
- ANSI X12 832 / EDIFACT PRICAT – Price/Sales Catalog – used by manufacturers to provide product information and prices to their supply chain partners in the form of a catalog.
- ANSI X12 846 / EDIFACT INVRPT – Inventory Inquiry/Advice – used to notify trading partners of on-hand inventory. Becoming a strong requirement from Online Retail trading partners.
- ANSI X12 850 / EDIFACT ORDERS – Purchase Order – used by manufacturer to purchase materials and/or services from a supplier.
- ANSI X12 856 / EDIFACT DESADV – Advance Ship Notice (ASN) – communicates the contents of a shipment, sent in advance of that shipment’s arrival, which also provides information on the order, the products, the shipment arrival date and time, etc.
- ANSI X12 862 / EDIFACT DELJIT – Shipping Schedule – provides detailed shipping requirements and may be triggered by product usage, allowing suppliers to replenish items immediately (similar to VMI), in support of Just In Time manufacturing processes.
- ANSI X12 940 / EDIFACT INSDES – Warehouse Shipping Order – used to instruct remote Third Party Logistics Providers (3PL) or warehouses to ship orders to customers.
- ANSI X12 943 / EDIFACT DESADV – Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipment Advice – an advance ship notice to a remote warehouse that a transfer shipment has been made from the manufacturer.
- ANSI X12 944 / EDIFACT RECADV – Warehouse Receipt Advice – acknowledgment of receipt of a shipment (such as may be referenced in an EDI 943 transaction) at the warehouse.
- ANSI X12 945 / EDIFACT DESADV – Warehouse Ship Advice – used by 3PL or warehouse to let manufacturer know goods have been shipped to customer.
- ANSI X12 997 / EDIFACT CONTRL – Functional Acknowledgement – customer acknowledges receipt of EDI transaction set from manufacturer.
If your organization would like to know more about how EDI for Manufacturing can help improve its supply chain efficiencies, please contact B2BGateway today by visiting our website www.B2BGateway.Net to get a local office number or simply email Sales@B2BGateway.Net