Introducing EDI technology to your organizations business practices will reap great rewards but it can also be a very daunting task. It is imperative from day one that you select the right EDI partner to meet your current and future needs as well as those of your trading partners. I have compiled a quick checklist here of some of the most important questions that will need to be answered when selecting an EDI solution provider:
- Can the EDI provider integrate directly with your ERP/Accounting software? If it can’t, it will lead to a lot more resources and expense in the long run for your organization.
- Can the EDI provider cater for all your trading partners requirements including documents, standards required (X12, EDIFACT, Tradacoms, XML…) and communication protocols such as VAN, AS2 or FTPs?.
- Can the EDI provider establish connections with your online e-commerce platforms such as Magento, Volusion, 3dcart?
- Are the EDI providers solutions desktop or cloud based. Cloud based solutions are becoming more and more popular due to their ease of setup and cost effectiveness of their ‘pay as you use’ models.
- Does the EDI provider require you to purchase additional hardware and/or software? If they do you must way up the cost versus EDI providers who will not require you to purchase additional infrastructure.
- What level of support and backup does the EDI provider offer? Is support included in the basic price or do you have to purchase additional support modules?
- Can the EDI provider connect your organization with your warehouse and outsourced 3PL’s (Third Party Logistics Providers).
- Can the EDI provider provide additional benefits above and beyond traditional EDI such as Supplier & Order Portals, VMI, GS1-128 Labels, Packing Slips and so on.
- What reporting capabilities does the EDI provider offer?
Listed above are some of the basic questions that you should ask when selecting a new EDI solution provider. If you have more detailed questions specific to your industries needs, please visit us online at www.B2BGateway.Net, email Sales@B2BGateway.Net or call 401-401-9595 extension 2100.